I love summer fruit. The stone fruits are amazing…yes. Blackberries though…they are my very very favorite.
Our neighbor has a blackberry bush that crawls over our fence. I have been eyeing the budding fruit for weeks, and the time finally came on Friday to pick a few! Now…besides just popping them like candy, what could I make with these?!?!
Just a few days prior, another neighbor brought over several lemons from her yard. When I saw them on the counter, the decision was made! Using this recipe for inspiration, I give you…
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Blackberries
Makes about a dozen muffins
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup oil (I used coconut oil)
1/2 cup organic honey
1 cup whole fat plain yogurt
1 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp poppy seeds
24-36 blackberries depending on preference
Preheat the oven to 375, and prepare a muffin pan with olive oil spray or muffin cups.
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg with a whisk. Add the oil, honey, yogurt, lemon zest and lemon juice and whisk together.
3. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir just until combined.
4. Fill the muffin cups half full, then add 2 to 3 blackberries depending on preference. Cover the blackberries with additional batter until almost full.
5. Cook 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
6. Enjoy the flavor explosion.
Optionally, you can drizzle with a honey-lemon juice-powdered sugar concoction. I just added enough of each item until it tasted amazing, then I spread a thin layer over the top.
Despite having made these yesterday, they are all gone.